In an effort to up the dynamics of my photoshoots, and give a little extra something to play with. Yesterday I glued cotton balls to my newly acquired battery-powered tea lights.
Today I added paint with an airbrush. Light coats of black around the whole ball, building up the dark layers on the outside. Then I added red, followed by orange, and finished with yellow. I dusted the colors across most of the explosion, save for the top that I left nearly white.
I made four to start, and see how it went. #1 is a short pile of cotton balls. #2 is the same as #1, just pulled up a bit more. #3 has added cotton balls on top for added height. And #4 has two tea lights inside for a wider explosion.
One of the goals I wanted to have was to be able to move them around, stack them up, or whatever the scene needed. I stacked them up, and the explosion is HUGE! It worked better than I hoped.
And now we get to blow up the Marvel/TMNT crossover team. One of the other goals I had hoped to be able to do was have the buildings explode. I used the tall #3 explosion, and it looks like it is rolling out the door, and then the other three look like the explosion is carrying across the street.
Oh, I am definitely doing more of these. This is great for MiniMates scale. It will be a bit small for Marvel Legends scale without stacking them up. So, I am going to need a few more of these explosions.