Tag Archives: Custom Challenge 3

Custom Hot Wheels: ’70 Chevelle GT Wagon

What is that you say, “There never was a GT Chevelle?”  You might be right, but there is now:

I finished my custom car for the Custom Challenge 3 on the Hot Wheels Customs web site.  The challenge was to take a ’70 Chevelle SS Wagon, and do something with it.   There have been a lot of good cars finished, and the deadline is tomorrow (the 14th).

I started with the current run of the yellow Chevelle as they were very prevalent in the stores a few weeks back.   I noticed that the ’13 Mustang GT had the same wheelbase.  I was thinking I could use the interior from the GT in the Wagon.  As this was my first custom, I did not think to look at the width of the cars, which was terribly different.  The Mustang is way wider, as you would expect from a dragster.

In case you want to know EVERYTHING I did to the car:

1.  I stripped the paint off of the body of the Chevelle.
2.  I cut a hole in the hood of the Chevelle and buffed the body.
3.  I cut the front end off of the interior piece where the engine would go.
3.1 I had to trim the leading edge of the window glass that goes under the hood.  It interfered with the new engine.
4.  I cut the engine off of the ’13 Mustang GT interior.
4.1 I had to shave off the front part of the engine to allow it to fit into the engine bay with the front body post there as well.
4.2 I had to cut down the height of the engine so it would fit into the allowed height of the engine bay.
5.  The rear interior of the Chevelle had to be removed to make way for the larger Mustang wheels.
5.1 When the rear interior was removed, it left the interior very weak and with very little left.  A cover was added to the back of the car for         strength.
6.  The body was painted Tamiya Blue.
6.1 Decals from a model kit were cut thin to create the double rally stripes.
7.  The car was put back together and fits pretty well.  There is a little bit of a gap in the front end.

What started out pretty hot looking… for a wagon, was dropped slightly in the back.  I was really happy with the addition of the white stripes to give it a little racier feel.  Let me know what you think, and I will update when the challenge is over and the ballot is cast.   On to the next build.  And more new toys to show.


%d bloggers like this: