Today was the first full day of customizing my Mystic Turtles, and things are going great.
First things first with my Mikey repaint. Gotta get that bark painted. I had a great color that matched so well. He has big pieces on his feet that were easy to paint. On his hands, he has smaller pieces that are wrapped with rope. It was a bit trickier to paint around the rope pieces.
I am still going with the white on this one. I am going to do a new layer of black wash to bring down the brightness. I found a concrete color that i used with the rest of the guys for their light color wraps and pads.
First thing I noticed from the reference picture I took during the show was that he had extra straps to hold on his flame thrower tanks. I used strips of styrene and then added the ‘x’s on the belt. I later painted the first coat on all of his major outfit parts. I am NOT looking forward to painting the mesh on his arms.
The axe Donnie came with was rather rubbery. Mostly the handle. I figured I would have to paint the handle anyway, so I might as well try my hand at making a duplicate axe that is a little taller, as it was in the show. I used a wooden dowel that was the exact right thickness for his hand.
Down at the bottom of the pic is Donnie’s original axe. Above it is my remodeled version with wooden handle painted.
Above the axes are Raph’s new Tegakis. The one he came with was super soft and rubbery, and it is supposed to be a pair. It was easy enough to just make two, as it would have been to make one. The much more sturdy styrene was way easier to paint than the rubber would have been.
This was a fun Sunday. It has been so long since I have used the creative side of my brain for something so small. I cannot wait to get back out there and finish these guys up. So far, so good.